DUTCHESS COUNTY, N.Y. -- There's no relief in sight for the scorching temperatures and high humidity that have gripped the county this week.
The heat index (a combination of the temperature and humidity) for Friday, Saturday and Sunday is expected to reach as high as 102 degrees.
The heat will be at the worst in the mid to late afternoon — with high temperatures in the low 90s. There is also a chance of heavy rain and possibly severe thunderstorms.
The combination of high heat and humidity will increase the risk of health issues, especially for the elderly, those with chronic problems such as lung and heart disease, those working outside and other heat sensitive groups.
The National Weather Service offers these tips:
- Take precautions if you work or spend time outside.
- Reschedule strenuous activities until early morning or evening.
- Wear lightweight and loose-fitting clothing.
- Know the signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat stroke.
- Drink plenty of water
- Check on family members, neighbors and friends
- Schedule frequent breaks if working outdoors, and seek shade or air conditioning
- Anyone overcome by heat should be moved to a cool and/or shaded location.
- Homes without air conditioning can be much hotter than outdoor temperatures — use air conditioning or go to a place with air conditioning to stay cool.
- In an emergency, call 911.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.