HYDE PARK, N.Y. -- As flames exploded in Joseph's Steakhouse in Hyde Park around 2 p.m. Monday, the owner was able to escape his office without any injuries, but a dog who lived in the upstairs apartment was trapped and died, according to the Poughkeepsie Journal.
The fire, which is under investigation, started after there was a small explosion and then flames and smoke began overtaking the structure, destroying it completely, fire officials said.
The dog belonged to a woman who rented the upstairs apartment and was not home at the time of the fire, the Poughkeepsie Journal said.
The restaurant is closed on Monday, so no patrons were inside when the fire started.
The owner, Joseph Wilson, told the Journal he wasn't sure if he would rebuild or reopen the restaurant.
The restaurant at 728 Violet Ave., has been a favorite with locals since it opened in 2011, serving grass-fed steaks and Italian dishes. The restaurant was currently in the running for "Best Steak House" in Hudson Valley Magazine's annual contest of best restaurants.
The Roosevelt Fire District was assisted by the Arlington Fire District, the Fairview Fire District, the Hyde Park, City of Poughkeepsie, the Pleasant Valley, and the Staatsburg fire departments, Mobile Life Support Services, Dutchess County Mobile Life Support Services, Central Hudson and the Hyde Park police.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.